Wednesday, November 11, 2009

1. Religion.

Background: I am a part of an institute where we are taught about Religion (twice a week 1.5 hour each session). Last week, we finished 17 years. I thought of penning down my thoughts on that occasion.

I am not sure how much of this will interest you. If you wish, you can read in your leisure time (since it’s a long one). Please feel free to comment.


At the age of 13 (i.e. 1992 – Yes, I am 30+ now), religion for me was to follow some rituals, offer prayers to God and seek blessings in return. This was to be religiously followed but of course not at the top most priority. For instance, if I got to go for some urgent work, it was ok for me to skip the prayers as if God will easily forgive me. I never had any thoughts and feelings of priority and severity towards religion.

On the contrary, my parents would boast quoting me as a religious boy of the family. I would also think so to a greater extent. The reason being I would attend a lot of religious seminars, give a lot of exams, score great marks, publicly speak about religion and regularly be in touch with saints and dignitaries in the arena. This much was more than enough for my parents and me to feel proud about.

There was no focus of going ahead and becoming a saintly being as I had always aimed at becoming a professional and earn more and more money. Now, there was an illusion that religion can be taken care off (the way it is described in the opening lines) while enjoying worldly pleasures. This is the way almost everyone around me would live thinking that this is the way it is supposed to be lived.

Preachers would say – Do as much religious activities as you can and be as much religious as possible. These words would actually mean – Do as much (depending on my schedule) religious activities as I can and be as much religious (as per my comforts and convenience) as possible. The result of this would be ending up doing as little in the name of religion and flatter as much in the society and hence creating a goody goody impression.

Yes, at the age of 13 all these things would happen. I don’t say that it doesn’t happen today. The difference is being blindfolded, crossing the street, meeting with an accident and with open eyes, crossing the street and still meeting with an accident. Nevertheless, it’s certainly necessary to open the eyes than remain blindfolded for life.

Coming to the story - during November 1992, one of my friends asked me to join a religious class. With so many so-called ‘religious’ feathers in my cap, I agreed with an intention to check it out. There was this class conducted by a 31 something handsome chap (everyone called him Sir) and the best part was it would be only once a week for an hour unlike the other class I would go each day of the week. Additionally, there was nothing to mug up which truly fascinated me (again unlike the other class where they would make us learn and mug up everything in Sanskrit with no idea about the meaning and the logic behind it)

We were a bunch of 25 odd students in the institute and I started liking it there. Using several examples, we were taught that the soul and body are different; the existence of this being is known by the existence of soul and so on. Now this was like a revolution for me who had all the times learned and understood about God and the rituals to be blindly followed without questioning the logic since questioning was synonymous to doubting and doubting (God) would be considered as one of the biggest sin.

Who am I? We had to enquire about self. Never in my life such a thought had passed my mind and this really started captivating me all the more. Well, if I am Dilip, rather if this body is given the name Dilip, will it still remain Dilip after I die? Yes, the identity would but then what about the existence? Man! At the age of 13, actually it was a bit too much. However, it was thought provoking too.

Sir would illustrate theories using different practical examples. One of them would be a dancing doll example where in he would say that if the batteries are charged, the doll can dance and if they are discharged, the movement stops. Similarly, once the soul disappears, the body movement stops. Why it happens so? What happens to the soul? Where does it go? After it disappears, the body still looks as it was appearing earlier. So which part of the body was actually the soul? What could be the shape and size of the soul?

I would wonder – Do the above questions have anything to do with religion? Are these questions really vital to comprehend and supposed to be answered by someone? Is there a need to quit the existing world and start a hunt for the replies of all of the above?

Gradually, these sessions started becoming interesting on one hand and also routine on the other. The bonding with Sir and the entire group started becoming stronger. After around a year, Sir proposed us to go on a 3-day tour. The agenda was to discuss religion at a stretch. I was keen but also was a bit concerned as I was in my last year of school and my exams were just a month away. Still, I don’t know what influenced me and I said yes. I can say this was one of the best choices I made in my life. It was a fantastic experience. I started getting more and more involved in this group and adapted to the culture. There was one more tour during the same year and this time I was all the more excited since I was free from exams and studies.

Alongside religious teachings and discourses, Sir would always preach a practical way of life. In the backdrop of soul-searching inquiries and religious deeds, he would always put weight on a way of life. A person practicing religion has to be leading an honest and a non-hypocritical life and act his role as a human being in such a way that no living creature is physically, mentally, verbally and emotionally harmed by his existence. This was his definition of a non-violent and a truthful lifestyle. I was thoroughly impressed and influenced with this philosophy although to be honest, I don’t practice it to the fullest till date.

In day-to-day life, there are so many theories which one can implement and lead a life in such a way that everyone including self can stay happy and peaceful. To him, this was a pre-requisite. These theories did include commitment, dedication, sincerity, time-management, hard work, there is nothing like try, be un-reasonable (means do not defend yourself), harmless external behavior, lack of hyper aggression, not sweating the small stuff, consider everything as a small stuff , introspection of thoughts, self-analysis (daily, hourly), break the flow of excitement, don’t exploit anyone, Remember, my profit can be some one’s loss, live in present, accept things the way they are and the way they come to us, avoid conflicts – come what may, discourage corruption, cleansing of thoughts, positive thinking, ego eradication, smile & make everyone smile, seek forgiveness, friendship with all and animosity with none, become a helping hand, generosity, philanthropy, compassion for all living beings – from ant to dinosaur, take the responsibility – I am sole responsible, realize the difference between ‘doing’ and ‘being’, if I love to be happy all creatures love to be happy, if I don’t like pain, no creature does, no need to get stuck on the medium if you want to reach the goal, and the ultimate was “To sing a song, you need to sing a song”.

These theories were exemplified in such a practical manner that I would really love to apply them in my personal life and needless to say that it has truly benefited me though the thick and thin of my life.

Sir would always motivate and recommend us for enrolling in various self-help workshops & meditation courses like vipassana, visiting worthwhile places & exhibitions, watching relevant movies, reading books & articles for self-development and in short, everything that stimulated him and made him grow in his life.

Besides, there were many tours and pilgrimages (almost twice a year) that really would serve as chargers. Through the means of quizzes, debates, scripts, games, elocutions and discussions, we would learn a lot, explore the hidden potential and experience the bliss within. I did relish each of the outstation tours and also all the sessions and conversations happened during past years.

I don’t intend to break anyone’s notions or beliefs but in this institute of religion, with all credits to Sir, I learned that Religion is not a part of life but it is a way of life.

It’s been 17 years and I am still learning and shall continue to learn. There are no words to express the gratitude towards Sir. Whatever I express will seem to be exaggerative but factually and on the contrary, it would just be a less than a drop in an ocean. Besides, there were so many other people who supported Sir to a great extent and these people were none other than his own family – his son, his wife, his brother, his mom and dad and his uncle. From the bottom of my heart, I would like to salute each one of them for everything and beyond.

I would like to conclude by saying that all the positive side one sees in me is due to Sir and the engagement with this institute since 17 years and all the negative side of mine is due to my deeds and behavior. I wish and anticipate a life-long commitment.

Thank you very much for patiently reading through the entire piece.

No comments: