Monday, March 22, 2010

5. Sunrise to Sunset.

Chadta Suraj dheere dheere dhalta hai dhal jaayega…
These are the opening lines of a song (actually a Qawaali) that talks about the transitory nature of life and time. These lines literally mean that the sun that rises; slowly will set in a while.

There was time when I would feel that the song is really very meaningful and is well-written. There are a couple of hard hitting lines where a reference is made to Alexander’s situation at the time of his death.

Yaad rakh Sikander ke hausle to aali the… Jab gaya wo Duniya se, dono haath khaali theIt means – Remember, Alexander had great aspirations throughout his life but when he left the world, both his hands were empty.

Besides, there are many such striking lines and verses in this entire song. Reviewing and explaining the song is not my objective nevertheless. What I intend is to focus on the phase of my life I have thought this song along.

The next phase of life was where I found this song to be extremely depressing and meaningless. I would transit myself into a state of despair on listening to this song. I would say to self – Why do I not want to enjoy and live the present moment and phase of life? Why do I want to think on such disheartening lines that make me feel gloomy and blue?

Thinking this I started disliking the song. Of course, I would enjoy it thoroughly when it was sung or whenever I would listen to it but then that was just because of the environment that it created.

Now that a significant part of life has passed away and the end is swiftly nearing, I feel like pondering over the song; this time not to learn the meaning behind it but to experience the essence of it.

Kal jo tan ke chalte the apni shaan-o-shaukat par, shamma tak nahi jalti aaj unki gurbat par
Yesterday those who were proudly walking down with chest-wide-open, today even the candles on their grave aren't lit.

Dilip is gonna be Yesterday soon!!!

No comments: