Friday, August 2, 2019

1. Walls.


Disclaimer:
1.       Not a true story but for the present day, it holds a lot of truth
2.       Adapted from a snippet of a celebrity interview

Reminisce of older times usually get tears into the eyes; and usually these come out of a nostalgic feel of missing despite the upgradation in financial status.

Talking about my childhood, our family of 6 people would stay in one room. Besides me, it consisted of my younger sister, parents and grandparents. Quite a few decades have passed now, but I fairly remember the life lived during those days.

In the night, when anyone in the family would cough or sneeze while asleep, practically everyone, especially our mom would open their eyes and ensure that everything is alright.

Time did pass at its pace but before I could realize it, we turned rich and hence we shifted to a bigger house. All of us were enjoying our privacy as now we had our own rooms. Sister got married and gradually, I also had a companion. Eventually, grandfather embarked on his journey to the heavenly abode.

One morning, I woke up to a typical day. Mom and my partner were managing the chores. It was nearly 7am, everything was usual but the only surreal thing that I noticed that there was no sound from my grand-mom’s room.

Her typical routine was to wake-up by 6.45 and play devotional songs. Since my room was next to hers and my wife would normally be in the kitchen, I was the only one who could daily and distinctly listen to the songs being played, once I would get out of the room.

I knocked the room, didn’t receive a response and hence I opened the door to realize that she was already on her voyage to meet my grand-dad.

Money got us into a bigger space and privacy but alas! also helped us construct the walls between our physical existence and hence the probable call by her for help went unheard.

No comments: