Sunday, January 31, 2010

2. Rann.

Seldom I go for a bollywood movie with heaps of expectations and all the more rarely are they fulfilled to the entirety. Rann is certainly one of those very few.

Although I won’t say that RGV is at his best but still this one comes very close to Company and Sarkar that were his best creations so far in my opinion.

The concept of showcasing of cold wars and dirty politics is not new (remember Corporate) although the medium is. One thing is certain that RGV cannot expect media to promote this fare (they have already started criticizing it big time) but as if does it care since he is sure that masses are here to do the needful.

Coming to the experience, I would say it was an edge-of-the-seat drama. Usually thrillers are categorized as e-o-t-s. In flicks with such a sensitive subject treatment matters a lot and that’s where this one scores ten on ten. Like many of his previous movies, the camera placement (weird angles-face hiding-close ups), background score (news recite, typical slogans) and editing are first rate.

The sequence of events is breathtaking. In the game of cricket, like a batsman on the crease, each character is given footage and the best part is everyone has scored a century. There are many scenes where I could see the Madhur effect. It seemed as if disciple has taught his master but I reckon somewhere master would have already trained his disciple who turned out to be the first to implement it. Doesn’t matter me anyways.

The casting is simply stupendous. Bachchan as anticipated is impeccable. Deshmukh shines. Yadav is wasted to an extent; nonetheless he is able to create some light moments. Kapoor gives complete justice to his character. Rawal is apt. Behl is astonishing. I have never before admired his performance. Girls have nothing much to do but they don’t look out of the place. Gul, Suchitra, Neetu, Simone and Mrinal add to the fragrance. Over and above, Sudeep as Jay Vijay Malik steals the show and I won’t be surprised if he bags a few awards. I was looking for a KK (remember Vishnu of Sarkar) in him but that is something I should have not done. He leaves a lasting impact. I might just watch Phoonk-2 for him(?)

Overall, this new(s) battle is a must watch. My verdict – 8.5/10.

No comments: