Thursday, January 21, 2010

1. Am I an Idiot?

Recently I saw a movie wherein the message given was – ‘Don’t run behind success. Strive for excellence. Once you excel, success will certainly run behind you.’ Very nice point.

Now, to achieve excellence it was said that one needs to define own ways by transcending the typecast system of education and follow the passion to avert a life full of incompleteness and dissatisfaction.

True to an extent but then following the passion right from any particular point doesn’t really work completely for me. I am talking from a perspective where I need to earn bread and butter which is the need of the time. Well, I am not saying that I am killing my passion but postponing the focus on it while not completely forgetting it.

For instance (just a fictitious example), my parents somehow managed to make me an engineer and in the midst of it, I realized that my passion was literature. I don’t say that writers don’t make money but to establish myself as a writer may take a few months or a few years or may be ages whereas by possessing an engineering degree, chances are high that I can find a nice job and earn a handful in few years. I can set a target for myself and plan to retire from that so-called ‘typecast’ profession after those few years.

Meanwhile, simultaneously I can find some spare time discovering literature and exploring the potential. Once I achieve my target, I can move on (to literature) full time. All my further targets till the end of life may be quite possibly related to literature – publishing books, composing poems, etc. This way I can plan my life and don’t end up frustrating – neither for the lack of money nor for the unfulfilled passion.

I don’t know if I am an idiot to think this.

No comments: