There is a very obvious form of ego.
"I am better than you."
"I have more money."
"I am more intelligent."
"I am more successful."
"I am more attractive."
"I have achieved more."
These forms are relatively easy to notice.
But there is another form of ego that is far more dangerous because it can become almost invisible.
It says:
"I understand more."
"I am more aware."
"I am more spiritual."
"I have better vivek."
"I have found the right path."
"I am more disciplined."
"I understand the difference between the body and the soul."
"I understand impermanence."
"I can see through maaya."
"I don't get carried away by worldly things."
"These people are still trapped."
"I am progressing."
"I am not like them."
This is a much more sophisticated ego.
The ego has not disappeared.
It has simply become spiritual.
And perhaps that is precisely why it deserves greater vigilance.
---
1. THE MOST DANGEROUS PERSON I CAN JUDGE
When I look at another person and think:
"How can this person behave like this?"
"Doesn't he understand anything?"
"She is wasting this precious human birth."
"Look at their attachment."
"Look at their anger."
"Look at their greed."
"Look at their show-off."
"Look at their ignorance."
"Look at how shallow their spirituality is."
I need to stop.
Not because their behaviour is necessarily right.
Not because discrimination between right and wrong is unnecessary.
Not because vivek means becoming intellectually blind.
But because something else may be happening inside me.
I may have converted their weakness into fuel for my superiority.
That is the real danger.
I am no longer merely observing another person's conduct.
I am constructing an identity for myself:
"I am the one who understands."
And simultaneously constructing another identity for them:
"They are the ones who don't."
The distance between "me" and "them" becomes larger.
The sense of "I" becomes stronger.
And the irony is extraordinary.
I may be studying spirituality to reduce the grip of "I, me and mine" while using spirituality to strengthen the very same "I".
---
2. THE BEGGAR OUTSIDE THE TEMPLE
I enter a temple.
I see a beggar outside.
A thought arises:
"He doesn't understand the value of this human birth."
"He is frustrated."
"He is creating more karma."
"Look at me. I am trying to understand the soul."
This needs immediate vigilance.
Perhaps he is suffering.
Perhaps he is creating karma.
Perhaps he isn't.
I do not actually know the inner state of his consciousness.
I can observe circumstances.
I cannot confidently measure another person's bhav.
And even if my assessment were factually correct, another question remains:
Why am I enjoying the position of the one who understands and he does not?
That is where the real examination begins.
Compassion is one thing.
Discrimination is one thing.
Judgement from a pedestal is another.
The beggar's external condition does not make him spiritually inferior to me.
And my knowledge of Jain philosophy does not make me spiritually superior to him.
I may have more information.
I may have better circumstances.
I may have access to a good teacher.
I may have developed better habits.
None of these automatically gives me the right to manufacture superiority.
---
3. THE SPIRITUAL PERSON I LOOK DOWN UPON
This is even more subtle.
I see someone attending pravachans, doing puja, participating in satsang and talking about spirituality.
Then I observe their behaviour.
They become angry.
They gossip.
They brag.
They display possessions.
They become attached.
They behave harshly.
And my mind says:
"After listening to all these sermons, look at their behaviour!"
"They are wasting their birth."
"They are doing so much paap."
"I may not be doing shudh bhav yet, but at least I have the right understanding."
This is a particularly dangerous thought.
Because now I have created a spiritual balance sheet:
Their paap versus my punya.
Their ignorance versus my knowledge.
Their attachment versus my awareness.
Their shallowness versus my depth.
Their mistakes versus my discipline.
And I may quietly conclude:
"I am ahead."
But what exactly is happening?
The mind that was supposed to become lighter has acquired a new possession:
spiritual superiority.
Even "I have the correct understanding" can become another possession of the ego.
---
4. PUNYA CAN ALSO BECOME AN EGO IDENTITY
This requires particular vigilance.
I may think:
"I am doing punya."
"I am following the right path."
"I have found the right guide."
"I am doing good things."
"I am more disciplined."
"I am taking care of my body."
"I am doing swadhyay."
"I am attending satsang."
"I am helping people."
"I am giving prabhavna."
"I am doing so much spiritual activity."
All of this may be valuable.
But another question must be asked:
What is happening to my inner state while I am doing it?
If punya becomes:
"Look how much good I do."
then punya has become material for ego.
If knowledge becomes:
"Look how much I know."
knowledge has become material for ego.
If discipline becomes:
"Look how disciplined I am."
discipline has become material for ego.
If simplicity becomes:
"Look how simple I am compared with these people."
simplicity has become material for ego.
If detachment becomes:
"Look how detached I am."
detachment has become material for ego.
If humility becomes:
"Look how humble I am."
even humility has become material for ego.
This is where vigilance has to become extremely fine.
---
5. THE "I AM NOT LIKE THEM" TRAP
Perhaps one of the most useful warning signals is this sentence:
"I am not like them."
Whenever this thought appears, stop.
"I don't show off like them."
"I don't waste money like them."
"I don't get angry like them."
"I don't chase material things like them."
"I don't need validation like them."
"I don't need attention like them."
"I don't behave superficially like them."
"I don't need to prove myself like them."
"I understand spirituality."
"I understand maaya."
"I understand that everything is temporary."
"I know the difference between the vehicle and the driver."
"I am disciplined."
"I am grounded."
"I am simple."
"I am aware."
Notice something uncomfortable.
Every one of these statements can be factually true.
And yet the mind can use the truth to manufacture ego.
Therefore the question is not merely:
"Is this statement true?"
The deeper question is:
"What is this statement doing to my sense of I?"
If it creates superiority, separation, self-congratulation or contempt, vigilance is required.
---
6. EVEN "I DON'T CARE ABOUT OTHERS" CAN BECOME EGO
Suppose I eventually become more sophisticated.
I stop advising people.
I stop correcting them.
I stop judging their behaviour externally.
I tell myself:
"Let them do whatever they want."
"Karma will take care of them."
"I am only concerned with my own growth."
This can indeed be a healthier orientation.
But even here, the ego can enter through the back door.
"I am too evolved to bother with these people."
"I don't need to explain anything."
"Let them remain where they are."
"I have understood something they haven't."
"I don't care because I am spiritually mature."
Again:
the behaviour has changed, but the centre may still be "I".
Therefore the solution is not:
"Judge people."
Nor is it:
"Never judge people."
Nor is it:
"Don't care about anyone."
The solution is vivek without superiority.
Discernment without contempt.
Clarity without self-congratulation.
Compassion without interference.
And silence without spiritual arrogance.
---
7. UNSOLICITED SPIRITUAL ADVICE
This deserves its own alarm bell.
Someone shares a problem.
Immediately my mind starts constructing an answer.
I know what they should do.
I know what their attachment is.
I know what their ego is.
I know what their karma is.
I know what they have misunderstood.
I know what their spiritual mistake is.
And I start advising.
Sometimes the advice is genuinely useful.
But before speaking, I need to ask:
"Am I helping them, or am I enjoying being the person who knows?"
That question can expose a lot.
Even when advice is correct, the intention can be contaminated.
There is a huge difference between:
"I may have something useful to share."
and
"You need to understand what I have already understood."
The first can arise from compassion.
The second can arise from ego.
And sometimes the wisest response is not to speak.
---
8. THE TEMPLE, THE FLOWERS AND MY SUPERIOR VIVEK
I see a beautifully decorated idol.
Flowers everywhere.
Someone says :
Wow what a beautiful decoration!
My mind says:
"Why are people decorating the purest soul with all these flowers? God is barely visible. Why don't people understand this?"
Then something else happens and I feel that I need to think something superior.
Then mind again says:
God is everywhere. See the God even in flowers"
(Now this comes up as a new avenue for the boasting)
At one level, the observation may contain philosophical truth.
But now comes the harder examination.
Am I simply seeing something differently?
Or am I waiting for the opportunity to say something profound?
Am I thinking:
"If I say this (boasting avenue about seeing God even in flowers), people will realise how deeply I understand Jain philosophy"
"Aha, he sees beyond rituals."
"What vivek!"
"Hats off!"
If I am waiting for that reaction, then I need to be extremely careful.
Because now even my criticism of ritual has become a ritual of ego.
I have rejected one form of external display and created another:
the display of my own spiritual discernment.
That is a beautiful trap.
And it is still a trap.
---
9. THE SAME TRAP CAN ENTER EVERY PART OF ORDINARY LIFE
This vigilance cannot remain confined to temples, satsang and swadhyay.
If the goal is purification, then the entire day becomes the laboratory.
WAKING UP
"I am more disciplined than others."
"I wake up early."
"I have better routines."
"I understand the value of the body."
Stop.
Do I need the comparison?
Can I simply wake up and perform what needs to be performed without creating an identity around it?
---
BRUSHING MY TEETH
Even here, there can be irritation.
Someone is using the bathroom.
Someone has left something messy.
Someone is wasting water.
Someone is careless.
I immediately become internally superior.
Pause.
Can I see the fact without manufacturing a superior self?
---
TAKING CARE OF THE BODY
I exercise.
I eat carefully.
I sleep properly.
I maintain fitness.
These are useful.
But watch the transition:
"I take care of my body."
becomes
"I am disciplined."
becomes
"I have more awareness than people who neglect themselves."
becomes
"Look at those people."
The exercise was not the problem.
The identity created around the exercise is the problem.
---
EATING
"I eat better."
"They eat junk."
"I understand nutrition."
"They don't understand the body."
Again, distinguish practical discernment from egoic comparison.
I can choose what is appropriate for my body without needing another person to become inferior.
---
USING THE WASHROOM
Even the most ordinary human functions can become occasions for irritation, impatience, cleanliness judgements and superiority.
The test is not whether these reactions arise.
The test is:
How quickly do I see them?
Vigilance is not the absence of every thought.
Vigilance is the ability to catch the thought before I turn it into identity, judgement and further reaction.
---
10. WORK
This is probably one of the richest laboratories.
A colleague makes a mistake.
"I knew this would happen."
A team member does something poorly.
"These people need so much hand-holding."
Someone gets promoted.
"I deserve it more."
Someone gets credit.
"They don't even understand what they are doing."
A boss disagrees with me.
"How can someone at that level think like this?"
A junior challenges me.
"Who does he think he is?"
A senior praises me.
"Yes, they finally recognised my capability."
Someone ignores my contribution.
"They don't value me."
Someone criticises me.
"They don't understand me."
Someone succeeds.
"Let's see how long that lasts."
Someone fails.
"I could have done this much better."
These are not merely workplace thoughts.
They are mirrors.
Praise, blame, recognition, disrespect, comparison, status, authority and competence can all become fuel for ahankar.
The workplace therefore becomes an extraordinary test of spiritual maturity.
Not the temple.
The meeting room.
---
11. MANAGING A TEAM
Someone reports to me.
I have authority.
Now watch.
Do I need to dominate?
Do I enjoy being obeyed?
Do I become irritated when someone doesn't follow my instruction?
Can I admit that a junior knows something I don't?
Can I change my opinion publicly?
Can I say "I was wrong" without feeling diminished?
Can I give credit without wanting some in return?
Can I correct someone without humiliating them?
Can I praise someone without secretly comparing myself with them?
Can I delegate without thinking:
"Nobody can do this as well as me"?
Can I listen without mentally preparing my superior response?
These are not minor matters.
Authority is an ego laboratory.
---
12. SPEAKING TO BOSSES AND HIGHER MANAGEMENT
Here the ego may become more subtle.
I may become overly submissive because I want approval.
Or overly assertive because I want to establish importance.
I may want them to know that I am intelligent.
I may strategically display my knowledge.
I may exaggerate my contribution.
I may subtly undermine someone else's contribution.
I may wait for an opportunity to demonstrate that I know something they don't.
I may feel inferior in one meeting and superior in another.
Both can come from the same root:
"What does this interaction say about me?"
The external behaviour may differ.
The egoic centre remains.
---
13. WHEN I AM SHOWING MY SKILLS
This is another difficult one.
There are situations where I genuinely need to demonstrate competence.
An interview.
A presentation.
A client meeting.
A leadership discussion.
A professional negotiation.
A competition.
A project review.
There is nothing inherently wrong with communicating one's capabilities.
The question is:
Can I demonstrate competence without becoming attached to being seen as competent?
Can I present facts without embellishment?
Can I accept that someone else may be better?
Can I lose without feeling diminished?
Can I win without internally becoming superior?
Can I receive appreciation without feeding on it?
This distinction is critical.
Competence is not ego. Attachment to the identity of being competent is.
---
14. MONEY
Earning money is not itself the problem.
Using money responsibly is not the problem.
Saving, investing, spending and providing for oneself and one's family are part of ordinary life.
But observe the mind.
"I earn more than them."
"I understand money better."
"Look at how financially irresponsible they are."
"Look at how simple I am."
"Look at how much I have achieved."
"I don't need expensive things."
Or the reverse:
"I deserve better."
"I should have more."
"Why do they have this?"
"They don't deserve what they have."
Money can produce superiority.
Money can produce inferiority.
Both can keep the mind revolving around the self.
---
15. FRIENDS AND RELATIONSHIPS
Someone does not behave as I expect.
"They should understand me."
Someone doesn't call.
"They don't value me."
Someone receives more attention.
"Why them?"
Someone disagrees.
"How can they think like this?"
Someone behaves foolishly.
"People are unbelievable."
Someone behaves impressively.
"I wish I had that."
A relationship can become an enormous field of Raag and Dwesh.
And sometimes I can even become spiritually attached to being "the understanding one."
"I am always there for people."
"I understand everyone."
"I don't expect anything."
Even this can become identity.
Therefore I must ask:
Am I actually free of expectation, or have I simply become proud of how little I expect?
---
16. SOCIAL GATHERINGS AND PARTIES
I enter a gathering.
People discuss clothes, cars, holidays, money, achievements, food, relationships and possessions.
The mind says:
"How superficial."
"I am glad I am not like this."
"They are all caught in worldly things."
Again, perhaps the conversation really is superficial.
But why is my mind so pleased about noticing it?
Can I participate without attachment?
Can I listen without contempt?
Can I leave without creating a story about how spiritually superior I am?
Detachment does not require disdain for attachment.
---
17. MOVIES, OUTINGS AND HAPPINESS
I watch a movie.
I go on an outing.
I laugh.
I enjoy food.
I travel.
I play sport.
I spend time with friends.
I experience pleasure.
Then another spiritual ego can appear:
"Am I becoming attached?"
"Am I being too worldly?"
"Look at these people chasing pleasure."
Or alternatively:
"I know how to enjoy life without attachment."
"Even while enjoying this, I understand maaya."
Now I have turned even enjoyment into evidence of my spiritual sophistication.
The point is not to manufacture guilt around ordinary life.
The point is to observe the inner movement.
Can I enjoy without needing the experience to prove something about who I am?
---
18. SATSANG AND SWADHYAY
This may be the most dangerous territory of all.
I listen to a profound pravachan.
I read a powerful text.
I understand a subtle concept.
I experience clarity.
Then:
"Wow, I understand this."
And slowly:
"I understand this better than most people."
And eventually:
"People around me don't understand this at all."
The very knowledge intended to dissolve ignorance becomes an instrument of self-definition.
Therefore after every profound spiritual insight, another question should arise:
"Has this understanding reduced my Raag, Dwesh, krodh, maan, maya and lobh, or has it merely increased my vocabulary?"
This is a brutal but useful test.
If my spiritual vocabulary is growing much faster than my inner freedom, something needs examination.
---
19. THE MOST SUBTLE FORM: "I AM WATCHING MY EGO"
This may be the final trap.
I catch myself judging someone.
Then I think:
"Aha! I caught my ego."
And immediately I feel proud of how aware I am.
Now I have become proud of catching my ego.
Then:
"I am becoming very vigilant."
"I can see extremely subtle ego."
"I have reached another level of self-awareness."
And the ego has successfully survived the investigation.
Therefore even vigilance itself must be watched.
The observer must also be observed.
---
20. VIVEK IS NOT THE SAME AS SUPERIORITY
I must not misunderstand this reflection.
The answer is not to stop discerning.
I need vivek.
I need to distinguish:
Right from wrong.
Helpful from harmful.
Raag from non-attachment.
Dwesh from equanimity.
Awareness from unconsciousness.
Truth from falsehood.
Wisdom from ignorance.
Appropriate action from inappropriate action.
But vivek does not require:
"I am better."
It simply says:
"This is what I see. This is what I should do."
The moment it becomes:
"Therefore I am better than the person who does otherwise,"
vivek has been mixed with maan.
This distinction must become extremely clear.
21. THE BAROMETER
I need a simple internal barometer.
Whenever I experience a thought, action, achievement, interaction or spiritual insight, I can ask:
1. Is there comparison?
"Me versus them."
2. Is there superiority?
"I am better."
3. Is there inferiority?
"They are better."
Both keep the ego alive.
4. Is there a need to be seen?
"Will they notice?"
5. Is there a need to be right?
"Do they have to accept my view?"
6. Is there a need to advise?
"Do I need to fix them?"
7. Is there contempt?
"How can people be like this?"
8. Is there self-congratulation?
"Look at me."
9. Is there identity?
"I am disciplined."
"I am spiritual."
"I am simple."
"I am intelligent."
"I am detached."
"I am aware."
10. Is there Raag or Dwesh?
Do I want something because it strengthens my self-image?
Do I reject something because it threatens my self-image?
11. Is there insistence?
"Things must happen my way."
12. Is there hurt when my image is challenged?
If someone punctures my image of myself, how quickly does agitation arise?
This may be one of the most accurate tests of ego.
22. A DAILY VIGILANCE CHECK
At the end of the day, instead of asking:
"How spiritual was I today?"
I should ask:
"Where did I strengthen the I today?"
Where did I compare?
Where did I judge?
Where did I seek recognition?
Where did I feel superior?
Where did I feel inferior?
Where did I give unsolicited advice?
Where did I enjoy proving someone wrong?
Where did I need to be right?
Where did I become defensive?
Where did I secretly want appreciation?
Where did I boast?
Where did I pretend not to boast while secretly wanting someone to notice?
Where did I feel irritated because my importance was not recognised?
Where did I use spirituality to judge another person?
Where did I use my knowledge as identity?
Where did I turn discipline into superiority?
Where did I turn simplicity into superiority?
Where did I turn detachment into superiority?
Where did I turn silence into superiority?
Where did I turn even self-awareness into superiority?
And finally:
Where did I genuinely become lighter?
23. THE REAL MEASURE OF PROGRESS
Perhaps I need to stop measuring spiritual progress by how much I know.
Instead, look for these signs:
Am I becoming less reactive?
Less defensive?
Less judgmental?
Less dependent on recognition?
Less interested in proving myself?
Less disturbed when someone disagrees?
Less disturbed when someone gets credit?
Less disturbed when someone criticises me?
Less interested in correcting everyone?
Less attached to being right?
Less interested in comparing?
Less fascinated by my own spiritual progress?
More compassionate?
More equanimous?
More capable of admitting "I don't know"?
More capable of saying "I was wrong"?
More capable of remaining silent?
More capable of allowing another person to walk their own path?
More capable of seeing my own faults without collapsing into guilt?
More capable of doing the right thing without needing anyone to know?
If these are increasing, perhaps something real is happening.
If my spiritual knowledge is increasing while my maan is increasing alongside it, I need to be very careful.
24. THE FINAL IRONY
There is an especially subtle irony here.
I want to get rid of ego.
But the thought:
"I want to become egoless."
can itself become an ego project.
"I will become more spiritually advanced."
"I will purify myself faster."
"I will achieve liberation sooner."
"I will be more vigilant than everyone else."
"I will leave no stone unturned."
All of these intentions can contain something beautiful.
But they can also contain:
"I will become someone extraordinary."
Therefore even the desire for liberation needs vivek.
The goal cannot become another achievement for the ego.
Liberation is not another trophy that "I" will acquire.
The very movement of clinging to "I" is what must ultimately be understood.
25. SO WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Not suppress thoughts.
Not become paranoid about every thought.
Not stop functioning.
Not stop earning.
Not stop exercising.
Not stop enjoying life.
Not stop speaking.
Not stop advising when advice is genuinely needed.
Not stop distinguishing right from wrong.
Not stop having standards.
Not become passive.
Not become indifferent.
Not become artificially humble.
And certainly not start judging myself every minute for having an ego.
That would simply create another ego project.
Instead:
SEE.
See the thought.
See the comparison.
See the judgement.
See the superiority.
See the hurt.
See the desire for recognition.
See the need to advise.
See the need to be right.
See the subtle satisfaction of being "more aware."
And then do not feed it.
The thought may arise.
I don't have to become the thought.
The judgement may arise.
I don't have to build a story around it.
The ego may arise.
I don't have to protect it.
The desire for praise may arise.
I don't have to act on it.
The desire to correct someone may arise.
I can pause.
The desire to demonstrate my knowledge may arise.
I can ask whether speaking serves the other person or serves me.
This is where vigilance becomes real.
26. ONE QUESTION TO CARRY THROUGH THE ENTIRE DAY
Perhaps I do not need fifty rules.
Perhaps I need one question that follows me everywhere:
"What is happening to the 'I' right now?"
While brushing my teeth:
What is happening to the I?
While exercising:
What is happening to the I?
While eating:
What is happening to the I?
While earning money:
What is happening to the I?
While spending money:
What is happening to the I?
While managing my team:
What is happening to the I?
While speaking to my boss:
What is happening to the I?
While receiving praise:
What is happening to the I?
While receiving criticism:
What is happening to the I?
While talking to friends:
What is happening to the I?
While attending a party:
What is happening to the I?
While watching a movie:
What is happening to the I?
While travelling:
What is happening to the I?
While enjoying myself:
What is happening to the I?
While angry:
What is happening to the I?
While hurt:
What is happening to the I?
While helping someone:
What is happening to the I?
While giving advice:
What is happening to the I?
While remaining silent:
What is happening to the I?
While doing puja:
What is happening to the I?
While listening to pravachan:
What is happening to the I?
While doing swadhyay:
What is happening to the I?
While understanding a profound spiritual principle:
What is happening to the I?
27. THE HIGHEST VIGILANCE
Perhaps the deepest vigilance is not:
"I must become a better person than others."
Nor even:
"I must become a better spiritual person."
It is:
"Let me see clearly whatever is happening within, without turning even that seeing into an achievement of the ego."
I don't need to become superior.
I don't need to become spiritually impressive.
I don't need people to recognise my vivek.
I don't need to demonstrate my detachment.
I don't need to prove that I understand maaya.
I don't need to prove that I understand the soul.
I don't need to prove that I am simple.
I don't need to prove that I am disciplined.
I don't need to prove that I am progressing.
I don't even need to prove to myself that I am progressing.
I need to see.
Again and again.
Clearly.
Honestly.
Without decoration.
Without self-deception.
Without contempt for others.
Without fascination with myself.
And whenever the mind says:
"Look at them."
I can gently turn the mirror around.
"No. Look here."
Not with guilt.
Not with shame.
Not with self-hatred.
With vivek.
Because the purpose is not to become obsessed with my faults.
The purpose is to stop feeding them.
28. MY PERSONAL REMINDER
I have been given this human birth.
I do not know how much time is available.
I do not know how much spiritual opportunity I will have.
Therefore I want to use this life with extraordinary vigilance.
But even that aspiration must be watched.
I do not want:
"I will become liberated faster than others."
I want:
"Let me remove whatever obstructs liberation within me."
I do not want:
"I will become more spiritual."
I want:
"Let me become less bound."
I do not want:
"I will know more."
I want:
"Let what I know actually transform my bhav."
I do not want:
"I will be better than others."
I want:
"Let me stop using others as a measuring scale for myself."
I do not want:
"I will become someone spiritually extraordinary."
I want:
"Let the unnecessary 'I' become lighter."
And perhaps the most important reminder of all:
The person outside the temple is not my spiritual measuring scale.
The person sitting beside me in satsang is not my spiritual measuring scale.
My colleague is not my spiritual measuring scale.
My friend is not my spiritual measuring scale.
My family member is not my spiritual measuring scale.
The person who is more worldly than me is not my spiritual measuring scale.
The person who is more spiritual than me is not my spiritual measuring scale.
The only examination that truly belongs to me is:
What is happening within this consciousness, right now?
That is where the work is.
That is where the vigilance is.
That is where the battle is.
And that is where freedom has to begin.

No comments:
Post a Comment