Monday, September 14, 2026

9. Am I carrying the "path" as a burden?

Am I carrying the "path" as a burden?

This question sounds simple, but perhaps it is one of the most important questions I can ask myself today.

If I consciously choose something because I believe it is beneficial for me, why should I experience that very choice as a burden?

If I decide to earn money, invest in a startup and build something because I want the outcome, I would not ordinarily say:

"I have chosen this, but now I am burdened by having to work for it."

The work may be difficult. It may demand discipline, patience, sacrifice and sustained effort.

But difficulty is not necessarily burden.

So perhaps I need to examine something more subtle.

Am I actually burdened by the spiritual path?

Or am I burdened by the psychological identity I have created around the spiritual path?

That distinction may change everything.


1. EFFORT IS NOT THE ENEMY

There is nothing inherently wrong with effort.

If I determine that liberation (for now, the "path" towards liberation as liberation is not possible at the end of this birth in this kshetra) is the highest purpose of this life, then naturally there will be effort involved.


There will be awareness to cultivate.

There will be passions to observe.

There will be attachments to loosen.

There will be conduct to refine.

There will be ignorance to examine.

There will be habits to confront.

There will be situations in which I fail.


None of this automatically constitutes burden.


The burden enters when I begin saying:


"I HAVE to do this."


"I MUST do this perfectly."


"I must never make a mistake."


"I must maintain my spiritual routine."


"I must maintain my spiritual image."


"I must prove to myself that I am progressing."


"I must become the kind of person who does all these things."


Now the path itself is no longer simply being walked.


I am carrying an image of the person who is walking it.


And that image needs constant maintenance.


That is parigrah of a subtler kind.


2. WHAT IS THIS "SOMETHING" THAT HAS BEEN TRAVELLING?


From the moment of birth, a newborn does not need to be intellectually taught hunger.


It experiences hunger and seeks food.


It experiences fear and seeks protection.


It experiences pain and cries.


It responds to touch.


It seeks comfort.


It begins receiving and accumulating whatever is offered to it.


Where does all this come from?


One possible explanation is biological programming and evolutionary conditioning.


But Jain philosophy asks a much deeper question.


What is the nature of the living being that experiences all this?


And then comes the larger question.


If tendencies, karmic conditioning and impressions are said to continue beyond this birth, what exactly is continuing?


And if there is a before-birth continuity, where does the chain begin?


If the past is beginningless, then the future too can be understood as extending beyond this one lifetime.


This raises the fundamental question:


WHAT IS THIS "I" THAT EXPERIENCES, KNOWS, DESIRES, SUFFERS AND ACTS?


Is it merely the body?


Is it merely the brain?


Is it merely energy?


Is it liveliness?


Is it consciousness?


Is it Chetana?


Is it the soul?


Here I need intellectual honesty.


The fact that a newborn has innate drives does not, by itself, scientifically prove rebirth or the existence of a soul.


But within the Jain framework, the question is much larger than newborn behaviour. Jain philosophy begins with the distinction between the living being, Jiva, and the non-living, Ajiva, and understands karmic bondage and rebirth as part of the beginningless journey of the Jiva.


So I should neither blindly accept the conclusion because my culture handed it to me nor reject it merely because I cannot immediately prove it.


I should investigate.


I should seek understanding.


I should examine the teachings.


I should observe my own experience.


I should use Vivek.


And I should remain honest about what I know, what I believe and what I have not yet realised.


That is very different from intellectual laziness on one side and blind belief on the other.


3. BUT HAVE I NOW CREATED ANOTHER BURDEN?


This is where the irony becomes almost comical.


I began by asking:


"How do I remain unburdened?"


And within minutes I have created a giant intellectual project called:


"HOW TO BECOME PERFECTLY UNBURDENED ON THE PATH TO LIBERATION."


That itself can become parigrah.


I can collect concepts.


I can collect scriptures.


I can collect quotations.


I can collect philosophical frameworks.


I can collect interpretations.


I can write beautifully about awareness.


I can explain Vivek to others.


I can analyse Nishchay and Vyavahaar.


I can understand the danger of spiritual ego.


And still remain exactly where I was.


This is perhaps one of the most dangerous traps for an intellectually inclined person.


Knowledge can become a substitute for transformation.


I may start feeling:


"I understand."


And slowly that becomes:


"I am advanced."


And eventually:


"I am the person who understands these things."


The knowledge has now become identity.


The identity needs protection.


Protection needs effort.


Effort becomes burden.


And the thing that was supposed to liberate me has quietly become another possession.


4. THE INTELLECTUALIST TRAP


I need to be brutally honest here.


There is a version of spirituality in which I keep reading, analysing, discussing, writing and understanding without actually changing the way I live.


I can become extraordinarily sophisticated at explaining:


Vivek.


Vairagya.


Awareness.


Saakshibhaav.


Parigrah.


Karma.


Nishchay.


Vyavahaar.


And yet remain attached, reactive, impatient, possessive, egoistic and driven by recognition.


That would be dry intellectualism.


The most dangerous part is that it can feel like progress.


Because I am constantly thinking about spirituality, I can mistake thinking about spirituality for walking the spiritual path.


I can even become an expert at explaining why I am not implementing.


That would be a spectacularly sophisticated form of procrastination.


So the test is not:


"How much do I understand?"


The sharper question is:


"WHAT HAS THIS UNDERSTANDING CHANGED IN ME?"


When attachment arises, what happens?


When anger arises, what happens?


When praise comes, what happens?


When criticism comes, what happens?


When something I want is denied, what happens?


When someone challenges my opinion, what happens?


When nobody notices my effort, what happens?


When I fail, what happens?


That is where the theory meets life.


5. THE RITUALIST TRAP


But the opposite danger is equally real.


I can become frightened by intellectualism and run completely towards ritual.


Pooja.


Bhakti.


Swadhyay.


Temple.


Pravachan.


Schedules.


Rules.


Discipline.


More rituals.


More listening.


More attendance.


More insistence.


And eventually I can become extremely busy doing spiritual things without examining whether the doing is actually reducing Raag, Dwesh, ego, attachment and identification.


The ritual becomes mechanical.


Then another identity emerges:


"I am a disciplined spiritual person."


Again, the image needs maintenance.


Again, attachment develops.


Again, burden enters.


So I must not replace dry intellectualism with mechanical ritualism.


5. NISHCHAY AND VYAVHAAR


This is exactly where Shrimad Rajchandra's words become extraordinarily relevant:


"Naya nishchay ekant thi, aamaa nathi kahel;

Ekante vyavahaar nahi, banne saathe rahel."


Nishchay and Vyavahaar are not enemies.


They are not two competing spiritual camps.


They are complementary.


One tells me what I am ultimately trying to understand.


The other gives me the means through which I live and practise.


Perhaps the simplest analogy is:


EYES AND LEGS.


The eyes give direction.


The legs create movement.


If I have only eyes, I can see the destination but never reach it.


If I have only legs, I can move continuously and still walk in the wrong direction.


So I need both.


Nishchay gives Laksh.


Vyavahaar gives Saadhan.


And Shrimad makes the practical implication clear:


"Nishchay vaani saambhali, saadhan tajvaa noy;

Nishchay raakhi laksh maa, saadhan karvaa soy."


Listening to Nishchay does not mean abandoning Saadhan.


Rather:


KEEP NISHCHAY AS THE LAKSH.


AND KEEP PERFORMING THE SAADHAN.


This is perhaps the balance I am looking for.


6. THE PURPOSE IS NOT TO BECOME A RITUALIST OR AN INTELLECTUALIST


This needs to become a permanent checkpoint.


I do not want to become:


"the intellectual spiritual person."


Nor:


"the highly disciplined ritualistic spiritual person."


Nor:


"the person who knows all the right quotations."


Nor:


"the person who attends everything."


Nor:


"the person who writes profound reflections."


Nor even:


"the person who is always perfectly vigilant."


Because each of these can become an identity.


And every identity can become something I have to protect.


Instead:


I want to become less identified.


Less attached.


Less reactive.


Less possessed.


More aware.


More discerning.


More inwardly free.


More capable of seeing Raag and Dwesh as they arise.


More capable of recognising my own Swachhand.


More capable of correcting myself.


More capable of remaining conscious without constantly manufacturing a spiritual performance.


7. SHRIMAD'S WARNING ABOUT TIME


This is where Letter 319 hits hard.


"જિંદગી અલ્પ છે, અને જંજાળ અનંત છે; સંખ્યાત ધન છે, અને તૃષ્ણા અનંત છે..."


Life is short.


Entanglements are endless.


Wealth is limited.


Desire is endless.


And therefore the precious knowledge-life can remain covered by worldly entanglement while it simply passes away.


Then comes the line:


"અમૂલ્ય એવું જ્ઞાનજીવન પ્રપંચે આવરેલું વહ્યું જાય છે. ઉદય બળવાન છે!"


This is not merely beautiful language.


It is a warning.


Time is passing while I am occupied.


And "occupied" does not necessarily mean occupied with obviously worldly things.


I can even be occupied with spirituality.


I can spend enormous amounts of time constructing the perfect spiritual routine, the perfect understanding, the perfect write-up, the perfect framework and the perfect identity.


And the actual life can still pass.


That is the danger.


8. PARIGRAH CAN HIDE INSIDE SPIRITUALITY


I usually recognise Parigrah more easily when it looks like:


Money.


Property.


Possessions.


Comfort.


Status.


Recognition.


But what if I start possessing:


My beliefs.


My conclusions.


My practices.


My spiritual identity.


My opinions about the correct path.


My insistence on how spirituality should look.


My spiritual achievements.


My knowledge.


My discipline.


My schedule.


My image.


Even my idea of "my liberation."


Then I have to ask:


Am I using these things as instruments?


Or am I possessing them?


The statement attributed to the wisdom tradition is extraordinarily radical:


"સર્વ જગતના જીવો કંઈ ને કંઈ મેળવીને સુખ પ્રાપ્ત કરવા ઇચ્છે છે..."


The world keeps trying to obtain something in order to become happy.


The Jnani points in the opposite direction:


"કિંચિત્ માત્ર પણ ગ્રહવું એ જ સુખનો નાશ છે."


Even the slightest grasping becomes contrary to true happiness.


This challenges the entire direction of ordinary life.


Ordinary life says:


GET.


HOLD.


INCREASE.


PROTECT.


REPEAT.


The spiritual movement says:


SEE.


UNDERSTAND.


RELEASE.


And perhaps ultimately:


LET GO OF THE GRASPING ITSELF.


9. WHAT DO I ACTUALLY BELIEVE?


This is where I need complete honesty.


Do I genuinely believe that liberation is the purpose?


Or do I merely like the idea of liberation?


Do I actually believe in the existence of enlightened and omniscient beings?


Or do I accept it because my culture, upbringing and surroundings have presented it as truth?


Do I have sufficient clarity?


If not, do I genuinely want to investigate?


Or am I comfortable remaining inside the herd?


Do I attend Paryushan because I have consciously determined its purpose?


Or because everyone around me is doing it?


Do I go to the temple because something within me seeks that direction?


Or because the atmosphere temporarily pulls me there?


Do I listen to Swadhyay because I want transformation?


Or because listening makes me feel that I am doing something spiritual?


And after Paryushan ends, what happens?


Does the vigilance continue?


Or does the temple frequency reduce?


Does the crowd disappear?


Does the spiritual atmosphere fade?


Does normal routine return?


And then, after another 350-odd days, does Paryushan 2027 once again remind me to restart?


If that happens, I need to admit something uncomfortable:


Perhaps I am participating in an annual spiritual event rather than living a spiritual direction.


That is not criticism of anyone.


It is an audit of myself.


10. THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION


So perhaps the question for Day 7 is not:


"How much Paryushan have I done?"


It is:


"WHAT DIRECTION AM I ACTUALLY WALKING IN?"


And perhaps an even sharper question:


"IF I REMOVE THE CROWD, THE TEMPLE, THE ROUTINE, THE RITUALS, THE BOOKS, THE DISCOURSES, THE WRITING, THE SPIRITUAL IDENTITY AND THE EXTERNAL ATMOSPHERE, DO I STILL WANT TO WALK TOWARDS LIBERATION?"


If the answer is yes, then the direction has begun becoming internal.


If the answer is no, I should not panic.


I should investigate.


That investigation itself requires Vivek.


11. DETERMINATION WITHOUT BURDEN


At the root of all this is Nirnay.


A clear determination.


But Nirnay does not mean psychological tension.


I can determine:


"This is my direction."


And then walk.


I do not need to repeatedly shout at myself:


"YOU MUST NOT FAIL."


"YOU MUST BE PERFECT."


"YOU MUST BE VIGILANT EVERY SECOND."


"YOU MUST COMPLETE EVERYTHING."


That itself can become agitation.


True determination may be quieter.


I know the direction.


I keep walking.


I fall.


I notice.


I correct.


I continue.


I get distracted.


I notice.


I return.


I become attached.


I notice.


I loosen.


I react.


I notice.


I understand.


I continue.


This is vigilance without violence against myself.


12. SAAKSHIBHAAV IS NOT PASSIVITY


This distinction is critical.


"Let me simply witness everything" can itself become an excuse for inaction.


Saakshibhaav does not mean:


"I will do nothing."


It means:


"I will observe what is happening without unnecessarily becoming entangled in it."


I still act.


I still choose.


I still perform Saadhan.


I still fulfil responsibilities.


I still correct mistakes.


I still make decisions.


But I try not to become psychologically possessed by every action and its result.


Witnessing is not withdrawal from life.


It is a different relationship with life.


13. THE PRACTICAL TOOLKIT


So, for the remainder of Paryushan and beyond, perhaps I need only a few questions.


Not fifty rules.


Not another complicated spiritual programme.


Just a small internal toolkit.


BEFORE AN ACTION:


1. What am I doing?

2. Why am I doing it?

3. Is this aligned with my Laksh?

4. Is Raag, Dwesh, ego, fear, greed or social pressure driving it?

5. Can I perform it without unnecessary psychological grasping?


DURING THE ACTION:


1. Am I aware?

2. Am I becoming mechanical?

3. Am I becoming tense about doing it perfectly?

4. Am I actually present?

5. Am I attached to being seen as someone who does this?


AFTER THE ACTION:


1. Did this reduce or increase attachment?

2. Did I become more aware?

3. Did I learn something about myself?

4. Am I now carrying the identity of "I did something spiritual"?

5. Can I simply leave the action behind and move forward?


WHEN I STUDY:


Ask:


"Is this understanding changing my living?"


WHEN I PERFORM RITUAL:


Ask:


"Is this ritual supporting awareness, or am I merely completing a ritual?"


WHEN I FAIL:


Ask:


"What did I just learn about my bondage?"


WHEN I SUCCEED:


Ask:


"Can I enjoy the usefulness of this without converting it into identity?"


WHEN I AM CONFUSED:


Do not manufacture certainty.


Seek.


Study.


Question.


Observe.


Reflect.


And then determine.


14. THE ULTIMATE TEST


Perhaps the best measure of my progress is not how much I am doing.


It is what happens to me when life does not happen according to my preference.


Someone praises me.


Someone insults me.


I gain.


I lose.


I succeed.


I fail.


Someone agrees.


Someone disagrees.


Something I want comes to me.


Something I want does not come to me.


My spiritual routine goes perfectly.


My spiritual routine gets disrupted.


The real test is:


WHAT HAPPENS INSIDE?


That is where the path becomes real.


15. SO, AM I BURDENED?


Maybe the answer is:


I should not be asking myself to carry the burden of liberation.


I should be walking towards liberation.


There is a profound difference.


I do not need to carry the destination.


I need to keep my direction.


I do not need to carry an identity.


I need awareness.


I do not need to carry perfection.


I need correction.


I do not need to carry every teaching as intellectual possession.


I need to understand and live.


I do not need to carry rituals as proof of spirituality.


I need to use Saadhan intelligently.


I do not need to carry the opinions of the herd.


I need Vivek.


I do not need to carry fear of missing out.


I need Nirnay.


I do not need to carry my past failures.


I need to learn from them.


I do not need to carry tomorrow.


I need to be conscious now.


16. THE DAY 7 RESOLUTION


So perhaps my resolution today is not:


"I will do more."


It is:


"I will see more clearly."


I will remain aware.


I will remain conscious.


I will keep Vivek alive.


I will keep Nishchay as my Laksh.


I will keep Vyavahaar as my Saadhan.


I will neither worship intellectualism nor become imprisoned by ritualism.


I will neither blindly follow nor arrogantly reject.


I will investigate.


I will observe.


I will practise.


I will correct.


I will release.


And most importantly:


I will keep walking.


Not because I am frightened.


Not because everyone else is walking.


Not because I want to become a "spiritual person."


Not because I want recognition.


Not because I want to collect spiritual knowledge.


But because, after examining the direction as honestly as I can, I have determined that liberation is worth walking towards.


And if I genuinely want that journey, then I must be careful not to turn the journey itself into another possession.


No unnecessary burden.


No unnecessary drama.


No unnecessary identity.


No unnecessary grasping.


Just awareness.


Vivek.


Nirnay.


Saadhan.


And movement.


One moment at a time.


One observation at a time.


One release at a time.


One step at a time.


Because life is short.


The entanglements are endless.


Time is passing.


And this precious opportunity to use Vivek should not be consumed merely by thinking about how to use it.


I have to LIVE it.


I have to WALK.


And when I notice that I have stopped walking, I simply need to notice that too.


Then turn again towards the Laksh.


And walk.

No comments: