Saturday, September 8, 2007

1. Paryushan.

The 8/10/18-days of religious "CELEBRATION" as per jainism.

Paryushan, usually come during August or September each year. The dates ain't fixed as the schedule is set according to the hindu calendar. The no of days Paryushan lasts also varies. The reason being there are 2 main sects in Jainism - Shwetamber and Digamber.

The "Shwetambers" follow it for 8 days which are followed by 10 days of "Digamber". Many a times the last day of former is the first of latter. Some people do follow both the sects and hence for them the Paryushan is a 18 (or may be 17) day celebration.

Most of the jains (those who follow jainism are jains; it has nothing to do with which part of the globe they come from or what language they speak) plan to schedule so many religious things during this celebration. For some of them, It's just like other days of the year.

I am one of them. Why? No reasons. Its just a matter of my personal choice.

My folks ask me - ALL SET FOR PARYUSHAN?
I laugh to me and say, it's gonna be just like other days of the year. Some of them might be getting disgusted by this reply. There are some who say - ALL THE BEST of paryushan and I say - Well, Thank you and same to you dear.

Again, I smile and say to self, 3 words wasted. I am writing about paryushan and the irony is I have a question in my mind - What is Paryushan?

May be, Paryushan is a part of Jainism. Ok. Now, what is Jainism?
and if Paryushan is a part of Jainism, then why it is not Jainism and just a part of it.

Jainism is a religion. If its a religion, then is religion a part of my life?

If it is a part of life then is it something different than the way i live normally ?
Lets say its 20 percent of my life. Does that mean, the rest 80 percent is different?

A different thought.
Is Jainism simply a WAY OF LIFE and not just religion?
If, for me, its a way of life....
Doesn't that mean, all the 365 days are the way of my life, if i say i m a JAIN?

The Paryushan starts tomorrow (this is as per those who follow Shwetamber and both) but dunno when will it end - may be in a day, may be in 8 days, may be in 18, in 356, in 365 or may be it lasts FOREVER.

So, now Am I all set for paryushan? Let me ask myself.

No comments: