Monday, September 22, 2008

8. The Jerk...

"The Jerk who saw happiness in ‘his’ Honda City".
(This is the actual title of this blog)

A few months back I was browsing a book where in a high profile millionaire sells his super luxury sedan, which he feels is his best possession in life. Thereafter, he starts his hunt towards the purpose of life.

Post reading this influential book, I started thinking about my possessions and happiness behind possessing them. Can I part with my possessions and still be happy? – was the question I asked myself.

The first thing that came into my mind was my luxury sedan – Honda City. What if I sell it (just for the heck of it)? And what if I have to sell it (due to some catastrophe)? Is there a difference?

In a way, Yes. There is a difference. If I sell it just for the heck of it, I’ll still be happy as it was an intended decision. What after a few days of selling it, though? Will I still be happy with my decision? Does that happiness lie in Honda City?

I don’t want to write anything further but just want to analyze this, feel and conclude something which will quench my thirst. Till then, I (as a Jerk) will enjoy driving my Honda happily. I know it’s an irony that in spite of being happy, my thirst is still unquenched.

1 comment:

vcd said...

If you feel you are being a jerk in enjoying your Honda then either you enjoy being a jerk OR you are not enjoying your Honda as much as before since the point you realised that enjoying your Honda makes you a jerk. Either ways happiness doesn't lie in Honda City or being a jerk it lies in what you want to do/to be at any given moment and how much you are doing towards doing/becoming that, IMHO. Don't know if it is in sync with what you had in mind when you wrote the post. My apologies in case it isn't!