Wednesday, October 18, 2017

6. A Girl Behind The Handlebar.

Of the abundant choices that I have (I am luckiest, yea!), I chose to pick up the younger one today and explore the Eastern Express highway (EEH) in Slo-Mo (Slow Motion).

Practically, all my weekday journeys begin with a stress-free 10 km at an average speed of 70 kmph. I have always felt that EEH is the second best terrain in the maximum city to zoooom on; Eastern freeway being the first. However, my love for EEH is unique and shall endure.

While I am penning this down, rather typing this – my inimitable love has scaled more than twice it was. Today, we cruised averaging 20 kmph and all we could witness is lush green forests and mangroves and water bodies and trees and flowers and birds and almost everything that has a potential to soothe the eyes and ears.

The young chap was mute and inexpressive but certainly happy.

Being a first day of the long weekend, the tar was under lesser pressure of wheels. Besides, we chose the service road that was hardly having an occupancy.

Even otherwise, EEH entertains lesser vehicles on its heart compared to what the other so-defined highways of the city do. It carries its own legacy. It connects the Eastern side of the city from North to south yet enjoys the solitude between the 2 vibrant suburbs on its Northern arm covering 10 km on each side. However, I believe (but do not wish) that in less than a decade it will be experiencing a lot of cacophony with the anticipated plans of chopping forest, trees and mangroves; and erecting concrete having similar names.

Well, emotions are difficult to stop once they gain momentum. Let’s enjoy the present day where the green prevails. As we continued, we could see some fitness lovers on a jog and sprints, while others were learning to ride / drive a vehicle. This is more of a regular weekday sight but would happen nearly a couple of hours prior than today. It was a lazy start to the day and apparently, Mr. Sun also wanted to take it easy.

Further ahead on our way, we could witness a 19 something girl striving to fiddle around behind the handlebar of a motorcycle; a friend dedicatedly assisting along. Seldom, I have seen a female riding a geared bike and of the ones, I know – I am aware of only one female who does. I wanted to encourage this gal who appeared at the end of her teens and the reason behind pepping her up was I do have an immense respect for women who ride a motorcycle; for those who don’t it’s not that I do not admire and respect.

I just slowed down and uttered – All the best, be safe and we are proud of you.

She obliged and by the time she could wonder and give a surreal look to me thinking – who is we when it was only me – I had passed her by around 100 meters along with the younger one that you can spot in the picture below before it makes you ponder over the muddle between we and me.

PC: A Cop on the highway.

No comments: