Friday, October 20, 2017

8. The Unknown Hands.

Moving out of the house with no particular agenda on one of those sporadic lazy Saturdays is congenial for my mind.

Having chosen to use the public transport, I was waiting at the bus stop for the BEST bus to arrive. BEST was not a choice made by me; it’s the name of the Administration run bus service in the Metropolis – for those who are unfamiliar to the Maximum City.

In a span of 3 to 4 minutes, while the eyeballs were still looking for the automobile in red, a 10 something young and modish lad known as Honda Accord stopped by.

I do encounter many people who ask me the directions and I feel glad to assist them with a feeling that, I can certainly attempt what Google is not capable of doing. I assumed the same for the white and sub 5 meter long chap. To my surprise, the gentleman on the wheel bent towards me and asked – Sir, where are you going? I can drop you if you are heading towards where I am; and I won’t be charging more than the bus fare.

In my head, it was more of an opportunity for a conversation that can potentially splurge over next 14 kms.

Nice car – I used a typical way to break the ice.

It belongs to my boss and I love driving it.

My dirty mind without a hesitation bombed and compelled me to ask – So, you drop your boss and pick up passengers on your way back, is it?

I do the same in the evening too – received a composed reply.

You must effortlessly be making around 200 a day. Isn’t it?

Sometimes even more – This time the answer had a little bit of excitement.

Not bad at all – The envious feeling had surfaced on my heart and was evident in the tone. This was not because he is making a mere 200 extra per day but because I felt he is making it with hardly any effort and over and above his salary.

Coincidentally, my chief uses the same words when I settle the accounts with him every Monday morning.

What? Sorry, I didn’t get you.

On an average, I make approximately 1300-1400 per week, which makes it to around 5500 per month.

Do you have to give him whatever you collect from passengers like us?

I don’t have to but I like to.

What’s the deal? – My mind had already gone bonkers on this unreal sounding chat.

So, whatever money I make I give it to him. He adds up the same amount to the monthly total from his end. On the first Saturday of the next month, we buy some stuff and on the following day, we visit varied places that can be supported with their basic needs. I have been working with him since 7 years now and this idea had textured over a simple dialogue that we had exchanged during my interview.

There was no need to know about the dialogue as the outcome was stupendous and I was already cursing myself for my despicable assumptions.


A million salutes to you and your boss – I said as I stepped out of the car before handing over the money and exchanging digits.

No comments: