Monday, March 4, 2019

1. Mankhurd Shahaji School Computer Lab.


Typing on an elite laptop is no longer a fanciful activity for me but when I recollect my childhood, each finger placed on a keyboard would generate a lot of excitement in my heart. Today, I saw the kids at the public school with a similar excitement upon switching on the newly installed computers and I asked myself – With miraculous technological advancement, fancy gadgets and easy access to the web world, how come these folks are still deprived of something that is as basic as food, clothing and shelter?

I live in a world that is far away from even thinking about scarcities of life as for me comforts are a daily thing and luxuries are routine. Seldom, when I get an opportunity to peep into other side of the world, I feel blessed with what I have in my life. On the other hand, sometimes I share the thought of making world a little better place for the less fortunate ones, with my folks. Few weeks back, when I came across an opportunity through a dear friend of mine, I thought of sharing it further.

A public school in a small suburb of Mumbai is an educational hub for 1600 students studying in English, Hindi, Tamil and Urdu medium. In a neat set-up and hygienic environment, these lovely kids study with a comprehensive enthusiasm. However, they didn’t have an adequate facility for computer education. The idea was to set-up a computer lab and install enough computers that can help them get equipped with the necessary Information Technology know-how.

This project was initiated by Balan, who heads one of the Rotary clubs in the city. The overall expense was nearly `150K including computers and civil, of which the best quote that we received for 12 good quality refurbished computers was `90K. Balan had begun the crowd-funding from his end and started working on the logistics related to infrastructure set-up. I spoke about this program with a close friend & kind soul Sanjay who immediately expressed his desire to take this up. In a couple of days, he sent the entire amount to the computer vendor and the work took up the pace.

My lovely friends supported me with the logistics, stationery work and of course, their warm presence for the inauguration that happened today. I had to do absolutely nothing as everything was taken care of by these fantastic folks.

From the bottom of my heart and soul, I would like to express my gratitude towards Sanjay, Prasanna, Balan, Praful, S.Dasan, Vipul, Dhimantbhai, Atman, Suvidh, Monica, Anita, Pritiben, Kinjal, Rinkle, Foram, Bharatbhai and the entire team of Young Sevaks and Rotary club and all those who were a part and heart of this wonderful outcome. Together, with the grace of almighty, we all could be a small instrument in spreading happiness and generating smiles on 1600 faces.

Love you all. ThanQ so much. Prayers and Well-being for all…

No comments: